Self Hosting Blog

I’ve posted about this over on Mastodon, but thinking I should maybe make a longer post about it because I’m feeling pretty passionate about it.

I really like being an adversarial poster, but in a wholesome foil, or a lovable trickster way. I want people to do better for anyone that wants to build something for people to self host, and why it falls short.

It’s never my intention to hurt people, but I want them to understand why things don’t work in their favor, and that sometimes their roadblocks are really their own knowledge, and circle getting in the way of being better for everyone. “A high tide lifts all ships”

I want to self host, but I feel like my casual-ness and lack of knowledge often gets in the way of not making it happen, and I want to rate how good the experience is to try to grasp concepts with the little info I have at my disposal.

This might also be cool for the online publication we’ve been talking about!

Appreciating guidance, and words of support if you got any!

3 Likes

Actually, had I not had to reboot my computer, I was just about to suggest putting your self-hosting trials and travails over here on Totentanz, as I think it would fit in pretty well (and would be a good place to keep it around for a while). As often as self-hosting questions come up on CI, it seems like having a section on Totentanz where people post their experiences would be quite useful, and you’re the first to kick it off!

And this would allow for others to chime in and help you expand your knowledge with the benefits of their own experiences and make it better for everybody, and maybe even start posting their own tips and tricks as well.

I think this is a great idea! “Welcome to Bit_farm’s self-hosting corner”! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

3 Likes

I think part if it is understanding that I do have to fail, because the point is not to have it work every time. The whole point of the blog is to evaluate the documentation of projects for others of my level (or lower) and to pressure coders to write better documentation for beginners in mind.

It is a natural progression of course that I know that eventually I will just get better at it, which also then makes me less of a reliable source of what accessibility to new people looks like. It’s a bit paradoxical, but I think it’s still important to do.

2 Likes

Thanks, you’ve just reminded me to ask my partner to bring home his old laptop :laughing:

Been wanting to make a home media server for ages. Reilly Spitzfaden off Fedi posted a super cool setup recently, and they linked me up to this pretty comprehensive guide they used: Chris Kalos $0 Home Server guide

3 Likes

sick. I also just got some resources from some solarpunks that i’ll be getting in touch with, and linking to in the blog.

1 Like

Oh LURK looks amazing. It’s where I’d like gravitons.org to be eventually, but at the moment it’s just me and a few others in my local collective using it. I feel I’m bad at outreach kinda stuff. And maybe nervous as I’m a pretty new sysadmin

1 Like

Right I’ve installed Debian and Xfce, got Jellyfin on there with SMB transfer from my PC. The port forwarding business is kicking my ass a bit, so I can’t access Jellyfin from my phone or PC yet. I’ll have to leave it there for today I think :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Port forwarding I think is the scary part for me, I have no idea where to even start with that.

Oh gravitons! I remember that name from a stream a week or so ago!

1 Like

Idk if I have any words of actual guidance, but it was suggested that I post about this over here on Totentanz:

I’m actually working on a self-hosted Jekyll blog project at the moment. My main goals are

• to have the blog itself be resilient against outages
  • while implementing my version of a backup strategy inspired by the “3-2-1” strategy by having the blog live on multiple endpoints across different cloud providers.

I’m still working the kinks out (atp I’m struggling to even get my content to back up to the secondary S3 bucket :upside_down_face: but I’m using AI to help me with my knowledge gaps so that may be part of the self-inflicted problem lolol) but with some time I think I’ll get it there.

Interested to see what others have say about this too!

5 Likes

Oh self hosted Jekyll sounds super cool!

I just got my Jellyfin working and accessible to the outside world hehe…now to put loads of music on it. Me and a friend amassed a big library of old field recordings and I think he lost his copies in a hard drive failure a while back. This will be a nice surprise for him :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

I’ve never had a physical Linux machine before I’m so excited! It’s a creaky 20yo laptop but it’s still working like a little silicon hero :saluting_face:

4 Likes

If you get inside, give it a little treat in the form of some fresh thermal paste!

1 Like

Just checked out jekyll, this sounds rad, I think eventually I’d like to do things that way, but until then I’m going to stick to the neocities editor while I learn.

2 Likes

Likewise, I keep seeing this “neocities” thing mentioned here and there, gonna have to check that out for myself!

3 Likes

Jekyll looks super-slick and since I create my content via markdown, I’m probably going to look into that at some point when I decide that I’ve had enough of Quartz or want some sort of new site design for https://preemchro.me.

Thanks for the recco!

2 Likes

I’ll just mention Hugo too, another markdown-based static site / blog thing. I’m using it for meljoann.com and finding it very pleasing to use.

3 Likes

Loving the idea for the blog. Big request…

Can you do a post for mail server setup. That’s on my to do list, but seems far more complex than it needs to be :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ah, mail servers. I personally haven’t done my own mail server not due to the self-hosting setup shenanigans but more so because of the whole “reputation” system that seems to be the hardest part of keeping a mail server up and running. Trying to stay off of (what seem to be sometimes) capricious black lists and having mail inexplicably not show up as a result is more hassle than I want to deal with.

That being said, I think @cobweb was (is?) using Hestia Control Panel to manage all of their self-hosted servers, so you might want to give that a look-see to maybe see if it will make things a little easier for you. Hestia installs all the servers, iptables, firewalls, spam blockers and all that hoo-hah for you, I believe.

1 Like

I can try. I’ll probably fail. It’s sorta the point, but I’ll do it so you don’t have to!

I keep wanting to learn markdown, but while I’m doing it, my brain goes “nope, that’s not html! You can have one or the other!” I think markdown feels too…abstract? Yeah. The reason I have problem with code a lot of the time is the abstraction from what you’re initially wanting to do. I don’t think I’m good with indexing

1 Like