Cbr+pnk

Over the weekend, I had the opportunity to GM CBR+PNK for some friends. This is a Forged in the Dark TTRPG optimized for very low prep one-shots.

We were all new to the system, but we were able to get up-to-speed very quickly. I particularly enjoyed the collaborative story telling, and the party - all 5e players - enjoyed how fast the system is. We were able to create characters and finish the story in almost exactly four hours.

If I struggled with anything in particular, I found combat challenging. Of course, the players interpreted the story in ways I didn’t expect - this is the way - and kept me on my toes the entire time.

The production of the pamphlets in the Augmented Edition was absolutely stunning. The experience excellent overall. Would recommend.

#ttrpg#cbrpnk#cyberpunk#fitd

6 Likes

Very cool. This might be the way to run a cyberpunk game for my group because I don’t know if they’d be up for anything longer than one or two games of it.

This is a pretty nifty idea - kind of like an even more stripped down version of the Cyberpunk Red Jumpstart Kit that could be a nifty introduction to the whole genre. Play a couple of sessions of that, and then maybe jump to the Jumpstart Kit if the players are into it, and maybe then grow into a full Red campaign.

How different are these rules compared to the Cyberpunk Red rules? Like, how difficult a transition would it be to go from CBR+PNK to CPR?

I like the idea of this game a lot, though! I’m definitely gonna check it out, although I still need to get some of those Mork Borg and CY_Borg RPG books though, which I never got around to picking up.

The ethos on the tin says, “Play to Find Out,” which is really how my group decided to play the game. Minimal prep, a few prompts, and a dialogue between me as the referee, and the players. There are extra pamphlets in the packet that we didn’t use that add magick, some hunting, a setting. With these, I’ll bet you could get a 2-3 session thang going.

Having run both, I can safely say that the systems have very little in common. CBR+PNK is based on Blades in the Dark. You can get a pretty good idea of the rules by reading the SRD, though changes were made to better suit this particular game.

https://bladesinthedark.com/basics

Nothing would stop you from using Night City as a setting. I, on the fly, chose to base our session in the Boston-Atlanta Metropolitan Axis. However, if you want to jump start your Jump Jtart, I think you’ll get the most bang for your buck by adopting the RED companion app, which does a reasonable job of automating character creation.

2 Likes

Ah, okay. I was just wondering how compatible the systems were in an effort to maybe get some people that are new to TTRPG’s or are hesitant about them to enjoy themselves and gradually move them into something more awesomer :tm:. :smiley:

Thanks for the clarification! Much appreciated!