Review: RoboCop: Rogue City

Hey chooms,

So I recently played a bit “RoboCop: Rogue City” and I’ve gotta say, it’s got its ups and downs. Let’s start with the fact that this game is definitely for those who are familiar with the RoboCop universe. If you haven’t watched the movies, the game might be quite confusing and not half as fun. You should somehow also be a fan of RoboCop, because the game is indeed a hefty fan-service. If you’ve never seen a RoboCop movie before, you probably won’t get much out of the game and might not understand it as well.

But let’s first check out the cool stuff this game brings to the table! “RoboCop: Rogue City” is set between the RoboCop 2 and RoboCop 3 movies - that gives the gameplay a nice nostalgic feel. There are plenty of side missions, which is always great for longevity and worth exploring if you want to delve deeper into the world. The graphics are stellar - all thanks to the UnrealEngine 5. For fans of gritty dystopian environments, Old Detroit is flawlessly portrayed with the perfect touch of dirt and cyberpunk aesthetics.

The karma system is a cool feature that adds real weight to your decisions in the game and, of course, the legendary Auto 9 Gun is part of the game! Any RoboCop fan will understand how cool that makes this!

However, not everything is sunshine and rainbows. There are a few graphical glitches which can be quite disturbing, especially when you’re enjoying the slick, immersive world. Some dialogs also seem kinda off or strange. And one of the biggest drawbacks: the gameplay can get repetitive after a while and that can wear thin for some players.

So yeah, that’s my quick review on it. If you’re a hardcore RoboCop fan and know the movies inside out, I’d say give “RoboCop: Rogue City” a shot! It’s got quite a bit to offer and can be a lot of fun.

3 Likes

Now that I’m about 8 hours in, I’m really enjoying it and yeah, there’s tons of throwbacks and callbacks to the first two movies. So far, it’s really well done and I would agree with @revengeday’s review.

The one thing that I do find mildly jarring, and this is probably just a me thing, is that they took so much care to model the original characters and yet they’re not voiced by the same actors (except for Robo himself). I’m sure that they couldn’t get the original actors, but it’s really weird hearing not-Nancy Allen’s voice coming out of Nancy Allen’s face.

But it’s well worth playing, and definitely heightens the more “cyberpunk” aspects of the Delta City dystopia which I never really sat down to think about before in the 328932432 times I’ve watched these movies. Very well done!

One thing that I do really like though, is the fact that RoboCop always has a gun with infinite ammunition. It’s a very movie-like thing to have, as RoboCop fired so many rounds in every movie and yet I only remember seeing him reload like twice. :smiley: It’s a nice homage to the movie that also makes the gameplay a lot more enjoyable because there’s never any reason to really watch your ammo count at all.

I picked this up as well on a whim as I wanted to check out the UE5 bits. I’m only a few hours in but it’s been surprisingly fun and good. Shooting mechanics are probably the weakest bit because each room is a shooting gallery but the story has kind of got me intrigued.

2 Likes