OpenAI announces change in leadership

Mr. Altman’s departure follows a deliberative review process by the board, which concluded that he was not consistently candid in his communications with the board, hindering its ability to exercise its responsibilities. The board no longer has confidence in his ability to continue leading OpenAI.

LOL! And no AI was able to predict that?

1 Like

That’s corpo speak for “he fucked up”. Nice to see a functional board making independent decisions instead of being up the CEO’s arse.

1 Like

I suspect this is just the first of many battles in the AI “holy wars”, where neither side is actually doing the right thing. It makes me sad that the board tried to walk back this decision (but to no avail) just a few days later due to the backlash.

These kinds of shenanigans, and what we will find out about why they really happened in the future, just goes to show how immature and over-hyped the SoTA of “AI” really is.

Well this post aged like milk. :smiley: Turns out that the headline was correct, it’s just that the “leadership” that was changed was the board of directors and not the CEO. Now it seems like the board was trying to mount a coup from within by firing Altman, and it blew back in their faces such that now the nonprofit arm of the company is all but dead as the new board is composed of all for-profit people.

What a shitshow.

well, at least we still get some entertainment from the wonderful world of techbros at the end of the year :slight_smile:

1 Like

Same capitalist theater as always. Cyberpunk isn’t in a far dystopian future. Cyberpunk is right here, right now.

1 Like

Yep. You hit the nail right on the head.

What I have found interesting is the fact that humanity hasn’t even figured out how our own brains work, so how could we ever hope to build an artificial one? Sounds like they’re counting on “spontaneous evolution” to fill in the gaps, and that’s really no basis for a business model (or even scientific study, for that matter).

So much capitalistic snake oil.